When you are taking the time to find a good attorney, you will want to know what to look for. This is a must when it comes to your personal injury case and how it all comes together in the end.
1. Assess Their Expertise
You will want to start with the basics and that includes their experience. You should only go with a firm that is focused on handling personal injury cases. This is going to make it a lot easier to see success when it comes to your specific case. This is a real issue when you choose someone that is not in the know and doesn’t understand the complexities of your injury or what the regulations say about these types of cases.
A good accident lawyer will have the ability to tap into their knowledge base when it comes to something like this and that will help them process information quickly.
When it comes to an attorney’s experience, you will have to go through a specific set of questions one by one.
These are going to include:
- Do They Have Relevant Experience Handling Personal Injury Cases As A Lawyer And Law firm?
- How Long Have They Been A Personal Injury Lawyer With These Types Of Cases?
- Are They Renowned For Being A Good Lawyer?
- Do They Have Experience Handling These Types of Trials?
- Do They Have Relevant Experience When It Comes To The Type Of Case You Are Coming To Them With?
It is essential to understand a lot of attorneys do have a lot of experience but don’t know what to do with specific types of cases. In fact, some may not even have a lot of success despite going through so many cases in the past. This can lead to a situation where you are having to settle for a lower settlement and that is the last thing you want to deal with as a client.
When you are taking the time to go through with a particular attorney’s case results, it is best to ask questions such as:
- Have They Handled Multi-Million Dollar Cases In The Past?
- Do They Have Notable Experience Winning Cases With Wrongful Death Claims and/or Catastrophic Injuries? (Don’t Just Go With Those Who Handle Minor Cases!)
- Do They have Specific Awards Showcasing Their Skillset When it Comes To Being A Personal Injury Attorney?
2. Look At Their Engagement Level With You
According to Charles Emmet Harris IV It is important to go with your gut feeling when it comes to something like this. You want to only choose an attorney that is willing to listen and is going to cultivate a good relationship with you during the process.
Focus on the following:
- Will They Be Prepared To Answer All Of Your Questions?
- Do They Have a Welcoming Approach To Being A Lawyer?
- Do They Have The Ability To Communicate Well?
- Will They Be Willing To Travel Wherever You Need?
- Are They Dedicated To The Task At Hand?
3. Know The Payment Structure
You will always want to go through the finer details when it comes to going with a good lawyer. This includes understanding how the payment structure is going to work out in the grand scheme of things. You don’t want to be surprised later on.
Important questions to ask would include:
- Is There A Free Consultation?
- What is the Fee Structure Like? Do They Have a Contingency Fee (i.e. you pay when the case is won)
- Are They Willing To Provide A Cash Advance On The Costs?
4. Look At Their Resources
You will want to go through everything when it comes to a good lawyer and that includes their resources. It is essential to understand what type of law firm you are going with and the assistance they are going to be willing to offer. This is a must as you go through the different stages of the case. This is going to make it a lot easier for you later on when you have to deal with different hurdles.
You should take the time to ask:
- Do They Have Access To Qualified Medical Professionals For Treatment Purposes?
- Are They Willing To Put In The Effort To Find Doctors To Handle Your Case While Waiting For The Settlement?
- Are They Ready To Offer Services Such As Property Damage Valuation To Help With Medical Providers?