Listen to this article now
Los Angeles is a city full of sun, sand, and glamour, but beyond the famous landmarks like the Hollywood sign and the Walk of Fame, there are hidden romantic gems waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, exploring these secret treasures will give you a new appreciation for the city’s beauty and charm. So hold your loved one’s hand and let’s explore the hidden romantic gems of Los Angeles together!
- Located in La Cañada Flintridge, just a few miles from downtown Los Angeles, Descanso Gardens is a 150-acre oasis that offers a peaceful and romantic escape for couples. Here are some of the highlights of this hidden gem:
- The garden features a variety of landscapes, including rose gardens, Japanese gardens, and oak forests.
- The Camellia Forest is the centerpiece of the garden, featuring a stunning display of vibrant camellias.
- The Boddy House is a historic mansion that offers a glimpse into the history of the gardens and the city.
- The garden offers tours and workshops throughout the year to learn more about its history and design.
- The garden is open daily from 9am to 5pm, and admission is $15 for adults.
- To add an extra element of romance to your outing, consider booking a table at Perch. This chic rooftop bar and restaurant is located in downtown Los Angeles and offers a breathtaking view of the city skyline. Here are some details about the restaurant:
- The decor is inspired by French bistro style with a modern twist.
- The menu features French-inspired dishes such as escargot, steak frites, and bouillabaisse.
- The outdoor seating area is perfect for enjoying a romantic meal with a view.
- The restaurant is open for brunch, lunch, and dinner, making it a versatile spot for your romantic outing.
The Getty Villa
- Located in Pacific Palisades, the Getty Villa is a stunning museum that offers a glimpse into the art and culture of ancient Greece and Rome. Here are some of the highlights of this hidden gem:
- The museum features a collection of more than 44,000 works of art, including sculptures, paintings, and artifacts.
- The villa itself is a work of art, modeled after an ancient Roman country house.
- The garden offers a serene and romantic setting, with a reflecting pool and a variety of Mediterranean plants.
- The museum offers tours and workshops throughout the year to learn more about its history and collection.
- The museum is open Thursday through Monday from 10am to 5pm, and admission is free.
- For a truly unique and romantic experience, consider visiting the Griffith Observatory. The observatory offers stunning views of the city skyline and the stars above. Here are some details about the observatory:
- The observatory features a variety of exhibits and displays about astronomy and space science.
- The planetarium offers shows throughout the day and evening, including a popular show called “Centered in the Universe.”
- The outdoor terrace offers a breathtaking view of the city skyline, especially at sunset.
- The observatory is open Tuesday through Friday from 12pm to 10pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 10pm, and admission is free.
- For wine lovers, Malibu Wines offers a romantic and cozy setting for tasting and enjoying wine. Here are some highlights of this hidden gem:
- The tasting room offers a variety of local wines and cheeses, perfect for a romantic date.
- The outdoor patio offers stunning views of the surrounding vineyards and hills.
- The winery offers tours and workshops throughout the year to learn more about winemaking and the history of the vineyard.
- The winery is open daily from 11am to 6pm, and reservations are recommended.
The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens
- Located in San Marino, just a few miles from downtown Los Angeles, The Huntington offers a unique and romantic experience for couples. Here are some highlights of this hidden gem:
- The library features a collection of rare books and manuscripts, including a Gutenberg Bible.
- The art museum offers a collection of European and American art from the 18th to 20th centuries.
- The botanical gardens feature 120 acres of stunning landscapes, including a Japanese garden, a desert garden, and a rose garden.
- The gardens offer a romantic and serene setting for a picnic or a stroll.
- The Huntington is open Wednesday through Monday from 10am to 5pm, and admission is $25 for adults.
The Venice Canals
- For a romantic and whimsical outing, consider strolling along the Venice Canals. The canals offer a serene and charming setting, with beautiful homes and gardens lining the water. Here are some details about the canals:
- The canals were built in 1905 as part of an ambitious project to create a “Venice of America.”
- The canals feature a variety of architectural styles, including Mediterranean and Craftsman.
- The canals offer a unique and romantic setting for a walk or a boat ride.
- The canals are open daily, and admission is free.
- Overall, these hidden romantic gems in Los Angeles offer a perfect combination of nature, art, culinary delights, and scenic views, making for a romantic and unforgettable outing.
To plan your visit or learn more about these locations, visit their websites:
- Descanso Gardens website at https://www.descansogardens.org/
- Perch website at https://perchla.com/
- Getty Villa website at https://www.getty.edu/visit/villa/
- Griffith Observatory website at https://www.griffithobservatory.org/
- Malibu Wines website at https://www.malibuwines.com/
- The Huntington website at https://www.huntington.org/
- Venice Canals website at https://www.venicecanalsassociation.org/