Over the past few weeks, we’ve been publishing interviews with Ronald Hettich, a man with seriously awesome stories to tell. For our last round of questioning, I asked him 20 quick questions to get a sense of the man behind the accomplishments.
1. What was the last song you listened to?
Harvey Danger, Flagpole Sitta
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What’s your favorite album?
Led Zeppelin, In Through the Out Door
4. What’s your favorite movie?
5. What’s your favorite movie genre?
6. What’s the last movie you saw in theaters?
7. Who did you look up to as a kid?
Astronauts. John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, all those guys.
8. Who do you look up to now?
Elon Musk, Eric Schmit, My wife.
9. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
Dinner with my wife at a place called Elizabeths in Newport, Rhode Island. We don’t remember the name of the dish or how you make it. It was this platter that had chicken and these incredible spices with fruits and vegetables. Maybe some kind of tagine?
10. What’s the strangest meal you’ve ever had?
Fish tacos at 7 AM after a bike race at Ensenada, Mexico. It wasn’t weird because of the food, but the situation seemed surreal.
11. What was the last book you read? Did you like it?
Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie. Yes, it was great, it’s not your typical sci-fi.
12. What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to?
Germany – because you can drive on the Autobahn!
13. What’s the biggest travel mishap you’ve had?
Luxembourg, I didn’t understand the European signage and ended up driving on to a public walkway that led to an overlook into a deep narrow valley. We had to back all the way out, people were looked at us strangely.
14. What’s your favorite drink?
Martini- But it’s got to have really good gin, not a lot of vermouth, and 3 olives.
15. What’s your dream car?
Ferrari 458 or a Porsche 911 Turbo. I like pretty much all sports cars.
16. What’s your favorite thing to cook?
I like making “Chicken Ronbo” for my wife. I have a secret ingredient, my family has figured it out but they’ve been sworn to secrecy. Everyone really likes it.
17. Who do you think has good style?
18. When was the first time you remember feeling a sense of accomplishment?
Building models when I was a kid.
19. When was the last time you felt a sense of accomplishment?
At work, I led a team that built a radar from scratch in 14 months. I still get bragging rights for that.
20. What was your first pet?
Cookie, a Boston Terrier. He was a rescue from the ASPCA and a very good dog.